Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Poppies & Tv.

Most people who know me and my work, know that I can sometimes get a bit obsessed with different themes, subjects, objects, etc. and will repeat these things in my work until I move on to the next thing. My most recent obsession has been poppy flowers. It started with the poppy field I painted in my Wizard of Oz painting, and since it has been a lot of little paintings and poppy sketches. Since I am not over this phase yet, I wanted to do a piece using the poppy as it is often recognized today-a symbol for war veterans.



Veterans Day
12 x 18 in.
oil on board.

I spent a while on this piece trying to get it exactly how I envisioned it. I feel happy with the final painting, the poppies were really fun to paint and I enjoyed using the old wipe-out technique in the background as well.

Also, I will be part of the group show "Idiot box" at Gallery 1988 in LA, opening April 2nd. They wanted the work for this show to be fun and humorous, so I went with a Carrie Bradshaw (Sex and the City) dress up painting. It's a little bit of a different feel than most of my other work but I wanted to create another magnet painting for a bigger audience.



Carrie Bradshaw-magnetic dress up
13 x 16 in.
oil & magnetic paint on board



Dress Magnets
oil on board & magnet




-painting with magnets



-Carrie dressed up




-the magnets are fun to play with too :) (& I have no idea who this girl is)

No comments: