Monday, April 27, 2009

Strega Nona - Magnetic Painting



Enough, enough, pasta pot,
I have my pasta, nice and hot,
So simmer down my pot of clay,
Until I’m hungry another day.
(Strega Nona)

16 x 20 in.
oil and magnets paint on wood (Magnets- oil on wood & magnet)


I'm really excited to be part of " Beyond the Page" at Gallery 1988 San Francisco. For this show, artists were asked to re-interpret favorite children's books. The book that stuck out to me from my childhood was "Strega Nona." At first I had a hard time coming up with an idea for this piece since these books already exist as illustrations. So I decided to reverse it and create a painting that went from illustration to reality. I liked how it played on the idea of a child's thoughts when reading a childrens book and how when you're young you imagine anything as being possible, even a land full of pasta.

Continuing with my series of magnetic paintings, I think of all shows this one seemed the most appropriate to make a "playful" piece for. One thing different about this magnetic painting as opposed to my previous ones, is that the magnets are more about revealing something underneath them. Previously the magnets served more as additional paintings that added something to the overall painting, where as here it's more about what's underneath them.


Framed with Magnets:





Some images from the original book by Tomie dePaola:





The show opens Friday, May 1st at Gallery 1988 San Francisco

No comments: