Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Lenox. Philly. Los Angeles.

ROYAL LOYALS

It's finally here, Monika and my show opens this weekend at Sienna Gallery in Lenox, MA. The show was based on 3 lives/individuals that we look up to and admire. Monika created jewelry for them to wear (made to reflect their personalities and artwork) and then they were each painted posed and wearing their jewels (again, painted to feel like each of their individual worlds that they create in their own artwork) Also, to go along with each set is a collaborative piece that encompasses both painting and jewelry in one.

We felt it important to create this work and these worlds with a bit of mystery; to give the viewer an opportunity to really develop any back-story or life for these people when viewing the work. It's interesting to think back on a time when a portrait painting was just that, with no search bar or technology driven method to discover anything else about the person painted; this idea of intrigue and mystery is one of the reasons why I find myself so fascinated by old objects, b & w photos, paintings, etc. Not knowing can be so powerful, especially in an age when almost too much is known, or rather can be known with just a little research, aka google.

All of the work can be viewed on the Sienna Gallery website, here. The reception for the show is this Saturday, July 10th, at Sienna Gallery, 80 Main st. Lenox MA.


Mere
24 x 24 in.
oil on wood


Lady Lola
15 x 31 in.
oil and gold on wood


I Have You, We Have Us
28 x 21 in.
oil on wood

ALL HANDS ON DECK

I will also be part of a group show this friday at the Chapterhouse Cafe & Gallery, 620 south 9th St. Philly Pa. There will be 30+ artists and it's sure to be an awesome show, so check it out if you're in the neighborhood!

CRAZY FOR CULT

And lastly, I am fortunate enough to be a part of Crazy for Cult again at Gallery 1988 LA, opening this Friday! This year the movie I chose to paint was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I can watch this movie over and over again and it just seems to get better. I really wanted to convey more of the movie's tone in this painting. I can't quite describe it, but it's more of a feeling I always get from the film that makes me love it so much, it's very honest and the scenes can be very subtle, something I wanted to come across in my painting.



I Don't Wanna Get Over You (Meet Me in Montauk)
11 x 14 in.
oil on wood

No comments: