Saturday, October 22, 2011

Salinger > Anderson

I'm excited to be showing at Spoke Art in San Francisco for the first time! The show, "Bad Dads" is a Wes Anderson tribute show.

I often feel that I have a love/hate relationship with themed shows, and yet I participate in so many of them. Sometimes I feel my work does not lend itself to pop-culture themes. It is a challenge creating a painting that 1, speaks to the theme and 2, still feels true to me as an artist. This challenge is my favorite part of the process, and I love solving this themed-show equation.

For this show I focused on The Royal Tennenbaums because of my long time love and fascination with J.D. Salinger, Wes Anderson's inspiration for this film. I've posted here, about my senior thesis, illustrations created for Franny and Zooey, my all time favorite book. I love the feeling I get when I'm reading Salinger, and I love visualizing the world that he writes about. When I created my thesis I had never seen The Royal Tennenbaums, it was not until almost 2 years later that I finally watched the film and saw similarities between my paintings and this film. I wanted to revisit this world I lived in when I created these illustrations, it was a solution for this show and a painting that I enjoyed working on and feel very connected to.








The Architecture of the House on Archer Avenue
13 x 15 in.
oil and gold on board

This show opens next weekend, Saturday and Sunday at Spoke Art Gallery:
816 Sutter St | San Francisco, CA 94109

See you there!